Head of Mission Iraq W/M
Publié le 15.05.2023
La Chaîne de l'Espoir is hiring an Head of Mission Iraq W/M for a 12 month full-contract, as soon as possible.
ABOUT LA CHAÎNE DE L’ESPOIR
La Chaîne de l’Espoir is an international NGO founded in 1994. Its mission is to strengthen health systems to give everyone, especially children, the same chances of survival and development. We intervene in 28 countries through a global approach, focused on the child but also on mothers and disadvantaged communities:
- Prevention and screening from the earliest age, particularly in the context of school health programs.
- Care and surgery to meet the most urgent needs of children and their mothers.
- Training and transfer of skills to local teams through our international network of experts in all areas of surgery.
- Construction and equipment of hospital structures adapted to local needs.
La Chaîne de l’Espoir implements projects in Sinjar, Mosul and Nasiriya. All programs are supported by the Iraqi Ministry of Health (MoH) and the French government through its Crisis and Support Center (CDCS), Expertise France and the French Embassy in Baghdad. The Madad Fund of the European Union supports the program in Sinjar for the equipment of the hospital. Indeed, since 2020, the program aims to rebuild the health system, which was previously destroyed, and thus contribute to the reconstruction and stabilization of the district. In this sense, the Sinjar French Medical Center (SFMC) is under construction to provide health care to men, women and children. It will be equipped with a mother-child unit and will be able to provide outpatient consultations. In Mosul, La Chaîne de l’Espoir is providing support and technical expertise for the reopening of the Mosul Research and Care Center (MRCC). While the Nassiriya Heart Center (NHC) is supported and monitored to provide better patient care.
POSITION AND MISSION
The position of Iraq mission manager is to be filled following a replacement. His main role is to manage the country office located in Erbil with overall responsibility for strategic planning, implementation of operations and fundraising. He creates and maintains strong relationships with partners to ensure the visibility of La Chaîne de l’Espoir and to represent it. He is also responsible for managing the security and safety of the mission and its employees. He is the direct manager of the infrastructure coordinator, the administrative, financial and HR coordinator, the logistics and security coordinator, the medical coordinator and the representative in Baghdad. But that’s not all, he also ensures that La Chaîne de l’Epoir’s operations in Iraq contribute effectively to meeting the needs of the population and that the objectives set are achieved on time. The Iraq mission leader reports directly to the program coordinator based at headquarters and liaises with other departments when necessary.
- Field Operational Strategy
- Representation and External Relations
- Project management
- Human Resources Management
- Budgetary, financial and administrative management
- Safety and security
Field operational strategy
- Monitor the humanitarian context, the development of the health sector and the geopolitical challenges in Iraq in general and in the areas of intervention of La Chaîne de l’Espoir in particular
- Supervise the preparation of strategic and operational plans (analysis of the national context, support strategy for partners, budget forecasts, annual action plans), in line with the overall strategy of La Chaîne de l’Espoir
- Supervise the monitoring and evaluation of the operational strategy in the country
Representation and external relations
- Ensure regular liaison with all external stakeholders, including NGOs, UN agencies, current and potential donors and authorities at governorate, regional (KRI) or country level as required
- Ensure positive working relationships with all partners and stakeholders
- Represent La Chaîne de l’Espoir at relevant high-level meetings, such as the NGO Coordination Committee for Iraq (NCCI), donor briefings, and participate in sectoral and sectoral working groups in coordination with the country team
- Liaise regularly with the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) to raise issues related to policy and strategy
- Ensure that all projects are implemented according to plan (including monitoring and evaluation) and achieve set objectives
- Work closely with the HQ program coordinator to ensure that project operations are carried out according to plan
- Coordinate the development of proposals and reports for institutional donors in cooperation with headquarters
- Contribute to the monitoring-reporting-evaluation (internal and external) related to projects funded by institutional or private donors. Ensure that these activities are in line with the operational framework and methodology of La Chaîne de l’Espoir and that they comply with donor requirements
Human Resources Management
- Assist in establishing and/or implementing in-country human resources policies in accordance with the national regulatory framework and ensuring compliance with national regulations
- Ensure proper configuration of the mission’s human resources to achieve agreed upon objectives, including recruitment, supervision, evaluation, mentoring and capacity building of staff
- Ensure team cohesion, establishing an environment based on trust, good communication and regular interaction between all staff
Budgetary, financial and administrative management
- Prepare the country budget and oversee the monitoring of financial projects in accordance with the operational strategy and internal procedures
- Collaborate with La Chaîne de l’Espoir headquarters and support the administrative/financial/HR coordinator and the logistics coordinator in the preparation and proper conduct of audits, whether internal or external
- Supervise the implementation of administrative and legal procedures required by the national authorities
- Supervise logistics activities and ensure good procurement practices and sound management of the supply chain, inventory, etc.
Safety and Security
- Monitor and analyze the safety and security environment and ensure that country office staff are aware of it
- Ensure implementation of safety and security procedures and that all employees are in compliance
- Manage security incidents
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Master’s level university degree in business administration, political science, international relations, project management or other related discipline.
Professional experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in the international solidarity sector. A minimum of 3 years in a similar position, preferably with an international NGO. Experience in the health sector is desirable. Solid humanitarian experience is required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of Arabic and Kurdish is desirable. French is an asset.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to develop comprehensive and inclusive country strategies and context analysis
- Excellent knowledge of project cycle management and programming
- Good reporting skills, with demonstrated ability in financial reporting
- Demonstrated experience in managing compliance with strategic donor requirements
- Demonstrated team management skills in multicultural environments, ability to motivate and lead a team
- Experience working in insecure environments or complex emergency contexts and ability to travel across the country
- Strong financial and time management skills
- Patience, flexibility, autonomy and adaptability
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office Package
- Adherence to the humanitarian principles and code of ethics of La Chaîne de l’Espoir
- Expatriate position, 12-month full-time contract. Possibility of renewal.
- Position based in Erbil
- Desired start date: as soon as possible
- Attractive R&R policy
- Salary according to profile and experience
Application to be sent by e-mail, no later than May 28, 2023: CV and cover letter under the Reference ” Head of Mission Iraq “.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Only short-listed candidates will be contacted